Wednesday 24 September 2008

Seen in Salford 2008

Manchester's sister city of Salford sponsors an annual photography competition called As Seen in Salford. Last year this photo of mine (to the left) was a finalist and was exhibited in The Lowry Centre. With with the 2008 contest deadline approaching here at the end of September, I've made a couple special trips across the River Irwell.

On one of these excursions I ventured out to Salford Quays. These are the old docks of the Manchester Ship Canal, where oceangoing vessels could unload their cargo after travelling about 35 miles inland. Today the quayside is home to an art gallery, war museum, shopping centre, football ground and high rise apartments. It will soon be the home of the BBC's first major media hub outside of London.

The futuristic architecture, graceful bridges and huge expanses of water attract a steady stream of photographers. At least three-quarters of last year's Salford competition finalists were taken around the Quays and I'm sure the main reason my entry last year was shortlisted is because it was taken elsewhere in the city. However, Salford is a bit short of scenic spots and I decided to visit the Quays, challenging myself to find something new.

It was late afternoon and cloudy, so at first I focused on reflections in the water and the birds that live here.


It was a calm evening and there were interesting reflections in the water before some hungry swans cornered me.



Before long the clouds peeled back and the Quays were graced with some golden, raking light. This made some lovely shadows and shapes on this boat which was docked nearby.


But the light was shortlived so I only managed a few more shots before it became too dark. Here are some of the high-rises I mentioned.


I was only able to submit two entries to the competition. I submitted a version of the high-rise towers in a vertical format to accentuate the curves and one of a reflection in the windows of the Lowry Centre. Something like this...



Fingers crossed!

No comments: